workflow vs process builder
Automating business processes in salesforce can make your applications reasonably convenient. Uses can immediately feel the difference of how business process is making their every day task absolutely automated. It can save users time and clicks while creating consistency of processes and increasing data integrity. Therefore, mastering the tools available on the Salesforce platform can be very valuable for any salesforce admin.
Workflow allows us to automate the organizations business processes quickly without writing any code with the following four actions.
- Task – a task can be created
- Email alert – An email can be sent
- Field Update – To update the field
- Outbound Message – to send outbound message or data to an external system.
These can be triggered when the record is “Created” , “Created, and every time it is edited” and “Created, and any time it is edited to subsequently meet criteria”.
Workflows can be executed immediately and with the time delay depending on the requirements.
If you are looking for detailed interview questions on Workflow then you can check it out after reading this.
Process builder is an enhanced and more powerful tool than workflows. You can perform everything in process builder what you can do in workflow except outbound messages functionality.
With process builder you can :
- Create a record of any object type.
- Update any related record – not just the record or its parent.
- Use a quick action to create a record, update a record, or log a call
- Invoke a process from another process
- Launch a flow—you can’t schedule this action with workflow
- Send an email
- Post to Chatter
- Submit a record for approval
- Call apex class or flow.
We can have multiple if and else like conditions in process builder but we cannot have it in workflows.
If you are looking for detailed interview questions on Process Builder then you can check it out after reading this.
Finally if you are not able to achieve any business process using workflow or Process builder you can always use apex. You can pass on those requirements to a developers with apex skills.
Apex is a programming language which is used in salesforce and it is used in apex classes or controller and Triggers.